Monday, March 15, 2010

Look who is a quarter of a century old today, an anniversary comes with some disappointing news


25 years ago David was surprised with the news that his body now had a new member. Although he was surprised the news was not totally unexpected. The new member came complete with a name and that was HIV. He was born in a time much different than today. Before 1985 he would have remained hidden. A new test that came out on the market in 1985 made it possible to discover this new addition. I’m aware that the viruses swimming around my body today are not the same virus from 25 years ago. He died ages ago, but his descendants have been fruitful and multiplied a lot.

It was not easy to get tested for him at that time. There were no drugs available that would eradicate, or tame him. Although David asked, no doctor would order the test. “Why give you a diagnosis if I can’t do anything about it?” was the mantra. At that time the doctors would test for HIV only if you were showing symptoms to confirm a diagnosis. David wanted to know regardless. He did have an ace up his sleeve though. He was friends with a nurse who worked at the Hassle Free Clinic. That clinic was the only place in Toronto that had anonymous testing. They too would only test if you were showing signs of a weakened immune system though. Knowing how much David wanted to know, his friend told him to come into the clinic and he would perform the test. “I know that you aren’t going to jump off a bridge if I tell you you’re positive,” was his response. Positive was the result.

Early on things looked grim. The advice given at the time was to prepare for the end. A time of 18 months to three years maximum was given. So David did as requested and prepared for the end. Some of his friends were also diagnosed and true to form they were gone within three years. Each death brought thoughts of a new future scenario. As each friend developed a horrible infection, then the possibility of getting that infection became a worry. When each of his nephews and niece were born, David was overwhelmed to see them but then also felt sad that they would not know him. He expected that they would be too young when died to remember him. As the years passed, more friends died and his nephews and niece grew up.

So after waiting and waiting, 25 years later David remains. Technically he doesn’t know the actual date of the infection or test, just that it was spring 1985. So March 15th seemed like as good of a date as any to mark the event.

As for my other virus, tonight will be shot number 8. My nurse called today after finally getting my Hepatise C (HCV) Viral Load (VL) results for week 4. To say it was disappointing would be an understatement. It has hardly budged. As I mentioned before, at 4 weeks an undetectable result would be the ultimate. If not undetectable then the next best would a 2-log drop, so for me that would be 400,000. I have barley budged though. I went from 40 million to 32 million. That now means that if I am not down to at least 400,000 by week 12 they will stop my treatment considering it a failure.

I have read that people who are co-infected with HIV and HCV are slow responders and should consider 72 weeks of treatment. That would be lovely (not that I want to feel sick like this for so long), but since my drugs are covered by the province of Ontario this is not an option. I’ve been told that if I was on private insurance that I may be able to get 72 weeks covered, but that the province just won’t do it. Those who say that Canada doesn’t have a two tier health care system obviously do not deal with it. I’ve known this since the early days when I was diagnosed. Back then many new drugs were available in the US and those who had private insurance could get them covered through creative paperwork. Since I was on government insurance I always had wait until it was approved or take part in a trial. Often when the trials ended the drug was no longer provided to you. So again, those on a private plan did not have a problem, but those like me would have a period when the drug was no longer covered. So I am well aware that our health care system is not level for everyone. Knowing that doesn’t make it any easier at times like this when it really hits me.

Besides this news, I am still dealing with nausea. The nurse was going to contact the doctor today to see what he was willing to do about it. I finished the antibiotics and I am taking my Gravol at regular times, 4 times a day, and the nausea still is a pretty bad issue. I haven’t actually vomited for a while, but I feel on the cusp most of the time. Activity makes it worse so I feel pretty anchored to home.

I am posting this before I do my injection tonight. They have become routine by now. That is it for now. I will report any changes or news as it comes.

Cheers,

David McHep C

1 comment:

  1. an honest account of a tough and unpredictable journey David. perhaps the injection in really the only thing that does become routine ..... everything else can seem surreal, distorted. I do hope that you can find some relief from this unpleasant, ongoing nauseu. xx eva

    ReplyDelete